Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Veteran's Day

It’s not often that the sun wakes me up on a weekday. I’m usually sitting at my desk, plowing through files, and gulping down my second cup of coffee by the time the sun rises up over the mountains. Thursday morning, however, I woke up to the sun shining in through a small opening between our bedroom curtains, warming the bed causing me to sink further down in between the sheets, and shining on the face of the little girl, snuggled up close beside me.

I smile because it’s the first day of my four day weekend. I hear the shower running. Matt has to work.

Evelyn starts stirring to the sound of him bumbling around trying to get ready. The sun is shining in so perfectly that I grabbed my camera.
She is all smiles in the morning. Always.
It’s rare that I get to spend this time of day with her anymore and see the smile-after-smile now that I’m back at work.
By the time I pick her up from daycare in the evenings she is usually exhausted and the smiles just don’t come as easy. So I take advantage of it; capturing as many happy moments as I can.
I’ve been meaning to hang some black and white images of her in my bathroom so this is the perfect time to take them.
My days always start in my bathroom and I’d love to see her smiling face as I get ready each morning. Maybe I won’t feel like I’m missing out on so much.

We bid daddy a farewell as he leaves the house. A kiss for mommy and a kiss for baby and he’s gone.
Now it’s just us. We spend extra time splashing and soaking in the tub. She loves her baths. We stay until we're pruned.
Afterwards it’s back to bed to watch movies and cuddle.

My parents had us over for Taco’s later that night. I'm a sucker for nights with the whole family, dinner, sitting around and talking, and watching them with Evelyn.
I was so happy to see my brother come over. It’s been a long time since Evelyn has seen her uncle Nathan.
She wasted no time reacquainting herself with him.

I think the bond between an uncle and his niece is a fun-loving one…

It show’s in moments like this….

It’s a love without the physical responsibility of caring for a child. It’s flawless.

What a perfect day.

And before signing off here, I’d like to say that Thursday, or any other day, and even this blog would not have been possible without the courageous men and women who make the decision to leave their parents, their friends, their spouses, and their little’s to serve and defend this country. And what a wonderful country it is. We are so blessed.
I just wanted to say thank you. Thank you to the Veterans. Thank you to those who are currently serving.
A million times, thank you.

“We are blessed as Americans. Even our bad times are good.”

1 comment:

Shan said...

This is beautiful. I kept thinking "Oh, *that's* my favorite photo... oh, wait... *THAT* is!"

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...